UHD Advances to Next Step in COVID-19 Response
Dear UHD Students, Faculty and Staff,
We hope you and your families are safe, healthy, and in good spirits.
Fall semester 2020 opened under challenging and changing circumstances. We navigated an abrupt closure due to Hurricane Laura, adjusted to modifications in our classroom delivery modes, and revisited campus protocols. Thank you for your patience, understanding, and unwavering commitment to the University of Houston-Downtown.
As the campus reopened on Tuesday, Sept. 8, we moved into Step 2 – Orange of the Response Step Matrix. As a reminder, the complete details on what this means for the campus community are posted on the Response Step Matrix website and a brief summary of Step 2 expectations is as follows:
- Campus is open. Faculty, staff, students and visitors can access campus through the following designated entrances. When entering campus buildings, UHD Community members are required to sign in at these entrances through at least October 2. Visitors who are not affiliated with UHD should only visit campus with a scheduled appointment. Visitors also are required to sign in at designated entrances when arriving on campus.
- Hybrid, Face-to-Face and Online Interactive classes will be conducted as scheduled with health and safety protocols followed for in-person instruction.
- Faculty have access to campus to conduct research, access their offices, and engage in instructional activities.
- Staff members designated by their supervisors to work on campus during Step 2 have access to campus. Other UHD staff members will continue to work remotely. Staff members should speak with their supervisors for clarification on whether they are working on campus or remotely in Step 2.
- Students are allowed on campus for classes or to access student services. Students should not plan to study or gather in groups on campus. Those taking classes at off-site facilities such as Lone Star College or Houston Community College may have specific entrance guidelines that also need to be followed.
- Student services offices will be open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but an appointment may be required. Students should contact the office(s) in advance of an on-campus visit.
- The UHD Bookstore will be open with limited on-campus hours. Online orders are encouraged and curbside pick-up service is available.
- Select computer labs will be open for use during specific hours each week.
While on campus, all UHD Community members and visitors are expected to wear face coverings/masks. Instructions about how to appropriately wear face coverings and masks and how to handle them while eating and drinking are available on the Face Covering FAQ web page. Individuals should also maintain appropriate distancing protocols, as well as proper etiquette when riding elevators (no more than four persons in an elevator). Signs are located throughout campus with information on safety protocols and other helpful reminders.
For safety reasons, water fountains on campus are not available. Consider bringing water with you to campus or be prepared to use vending machines. On-campus food venues are open with limited hours.
The University’s Response Step Matrix guides UHD’s reopening processes that align with both the opening guidelines from the UH System Board of Regents and Phase Three of the Texas Governor’s reopening plan.
Fall 2020 is off to a solid start. Let’s continue to work together to ensure a successful semester and keep our campus safe.
Stay healthy, Gators.