Message to Students: Preparing for First Week of Fall 2020
We hope you had a good summer and this message finds you well and staying safe.
The start of the Fall Semester is quickly approaching on Monday, August 24. We are looking forward to welcoming you back and anticipate a great semester. Many of you will begin the semester online, while limited numbers of you may come to campus for class (based on information from your instructors) or to engage with specific student services by appointment.
As part of our commitment to keeping all our UHD Gators safe, we wanted you to be aware of some important items as you prepare to return to campus.
Each student should conduct an assessment of his/her health before coming to campus and accessing university facilities. This assessment includes the following steps:
- Take your temperature
- Ask yourself, “Do I have new COVID-19 symptoms that are not related to another medical condition I have?
- Ask yourself, “Have I had close contact with a person who a doctor or lab has confirmed to have COVID-19?”
- Ask yourself, “Have I returned from international travel in the past 14 days?”
When can I come to campus in the first two weeks?
- To attend classes or to engage with specific student services based on appointments that you make in advance. (See the websites for the various support areas to make these appointments.
- For other services by appointment only, or if you are a student worker who has been approved to work on campus.
- You should not plan to gather in groups on campus.
- No on-campus/face to face awards ceremonies, student conferences or other student activities will be held at this time.
Do I need to wear a face covering?
- You must wear a face covering on campus.
- Please bring your own face covering to campus. In addition, face coverings may be available at the University, in the bookstore and in UHD vending machines.
- If you have other questions regarding face coverings, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions section of the UHD website.
How do I get into buildings?
- You must enter buildings through specific entrances (View Map).
- You must exit through the same entrance you came in.
- Security Officers will be present at each entrance.
- Students who come to campus for class, or for a scheduled appointment between August 24 and September 7, can help UHD adhere to social distancing protocols by identifying the purpose of their visit to campus. Having your class schedule or confirmation of an appointment on your phone will be very helpful.
Does my online class have required meetings?
You should review your fall class schedule to be sure you know about required meeting times. If your class is marked as “online” but also lists specific times, then you will need to attend that class at that time. Check with your class instructor or in your Blackboard class for how to join. Many classes will use Zoom for class meetings.. We also have information for how to get started with Blackboard: https://www.uhd.edu/computing/blackboard/Pages/bb/essentials-students.aspx
When do I need to get to campus for a class?
- You should budget a bit of extra time to get to your class.
- Elevator capacity is limited.
- Some stairwells are designated up/down.
How is UHD supporting Social Distancing?
- UHD has posted signage and marked off chairs in classrooms as well as other areas to comply with recommended social distancing guidelines.
- You should stay at least 6 feet from other people at all times.
- Please follow signs and social distancing markers.
- Do not gather in groups on campus.
- Be considerate of others
How do I get a parking permit?
- As announced previously by Interim President Tillis, student parking permits are available for purchase at 50% of normal cost.
- Students can purchase permits through the UHD Parking Portal or by appointment (for cash and check transactions) at the UHD Parking Office – 713-221-8127.
We wish you the best as you enter this semester. Stay safe and Go Gators!