Call For Applications: UHD Garden Project
Go green with University of Houston-Downtown’s Sustainability Garden. The Center for Urban Agriculture and Sustainability (CUAS) is now accepting applications for its garden project. This selected team of cross-disciplinary students will assist with a project starting in late fall and lasting through spring 2021. The application deadline is Monday, Nov. 23.
CUAS oversees a number of educational spaces on campus, including the UHD Sustainability Garden, located next to the loading dock of the Main building, and the garden beds along the main Science and Technology Building (STB), located at the College of Science and Technology main building. The garden project allows students from different disciplines and backgrounds to work together in teams to plan, build and test a system that builds on the university's sustainable initiatives.
In addition to a $500 stipend for participating, students will make connections that can assist in advancing a career or future graduate education, work closely with faculty members and professional staff on a project, gain hands-on learning, participate in a collaborative setting and potentially present work at a conference.
Safety measures will be enforced regarding social distancing and masks throughout the project.
The spring garden project involves the following:
- Making a planting plan for winter through spring that would optimize garden space and food production and then implanting that plan in the UHD Sustainability Garden
- Completing the UHD Sustainability Garden Irrigation system and connecting it to the solar power in the garden
- Assembling individual solar-power timers for the STB Garden Beds to get irrigation from the water capture system
- Creating a planting plan for the STB Garden Beds that allows students from UHD to participate and organize a planting activity in those beds
To apply, students must meet the following requirements:
- A completed information page (email Juan Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the form)
- Full-time UHD student in the spring semester and in good standing
- Must not be graduating before spring 2021
- Must be able to dedicate a few hours on Fridays to work collaboratively
- 1-page essay describing skills that would be useful in the projects
Submit the one-page essay, a grade history from e-services in a PDF format, and the complete information page to Juan Martinez via email at email@example.com.