April 15 Deadline Approaching for Three Scholarship Opportunities
Three high-profile scholarships are nearing the April 15 deadline for application. The University of Houston-Downtown students are encouraged to apply if they meet the qualifications.
The University of Houston Foundation is now accepting applications for two of its scholarships specific to the University of Houston-Downtown: The Woman’s Club Scholarship and the Lucia La Madrid Cain Scholarship for Hispanic Students.
The Woman’s Club Scholarship: To qualify, students must meet the following criteria:
- Junior or a Senior student seeking an undergraduate degree in Education
- Demonstrates leadership abilities and is an outstanding representative of the Department of Urban Education
- U.S. Citizen (Include a copy of a birth certificate or passport with the application)
- Female student
- Have and maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 to continue eligibility
- Enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours or in the PD 3 (student teaching) semester
- Graduate of a Houston-area high school• Demonstrates interest in the community through service activities
- Submit no more than a one-page answer to this question, “What would this scholarship mean to you?”
Lucia La Madrid Cain Scholarship for Hispanic Students: To qualify, students must meet the following criteria:
- Hispanic student
- Enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours
- Have and maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA to continue eligibility
- Must have completed 1 year (24 credit hours) at UHD or an accredited college (transcript required if transferring to UHD).
- Submit no more than one-page description of the applicant’s Hispanic heritage, academic and career goals and how this scholarship would be of financial assistance.
Finally, the Black Leadership Network scholarship promotes and supports academic excellence by empowering students to succeed. Eligible and interested students should meet the following criteria:
- Full-time student currently enrolled at a University of Houston System School.
- Be in good standing academically at a University of Houston System School.
- Verified minimum GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale.
- Submit a documented history of work and or community service (preferred).
- Submit a 350-word essay describing academic and career goals and how this scholarship will assist in achieving those goals.
Applicants for the Black Leadership Network scholarship should submit a completed application packet including the online application form, one letter of recommendation and other required documents.
The awards listed are in addition to scholarships that may be available in a student's college or department. Check each college’s webpage for scholarships in particular disciplines or areas of study.