Applications For Mayor’s Summer Internship Program Due April 1
Thanks to the support of UHD’s Office of the President, students have an opportunity to work with Mayor Sylvester Turner and his staff on initiatives that influence the City of Houston and nearby communities through the Mayor’s Summer Internship Program.
This program is designed to provide UHD students with valuable experience in learning and serving in various capacities in local city government. Students can explore career possibilities in local government, gain expertise in helping community initiatives, and develop marketable skills and professional networks.
Interns will have opportunities to work in one of six key areas:
- Mayor’s Office of Education
- Mayor’s Office of Complete Communities
- Mayor’s Office of Persons with Disabilities
- Mayor’s Office of Economic Development
- Houston Municipal Television (HTV)
- Mayor’s Office of Government Affairs
Additional internship responsibilities may include:
- Research and prepare support materials for diplomatic and international business development initiatives.
- Attend staff meetings between the Mayor or other local officials and visiting delegations and dignitaries.
- Contribute to office administration, protocol services, social media, community outreach, and international trade.
- Network and interact with a variety of international community leaders.
- Attend council sessions.
- Present internship experience at an internship summit at the conclusion of the internship.
Interns are expected to work a minimum of 20 hours per week for eight weeks from June 1, 2022, to July 31, 2022. Students will receive a $3,000 stipend for their participation.
- Be currently enrolled at the University of Houston-Downtown.
- Apply online.
- Commit to a minimum of 20 hours a week per semester.
- Provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Attend orientation on professionalism before internship placement and training with the City of Houston.
Ideal applicants will have:
- Outstanding academic achievement.
- Strong writing ability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated dedication to public service through volunteerism in school and community activities.
Applicants are required to submit a résumé, cover letter, and essay by Friday, April 1.
Apply online today!
The University of Houston-Downtown (UHD)—the second-largest university in Houston—has served the educational needs of the nation’s fourth-largest city since 1974.
As one of four distinct public universities in the University of Houston System, UHD is a comprehensive four-year university led by President Loren J. Blanchard. Annually, UHD educates more than 15,000 students; boasts more than 60,000 alumni and offers 45 bachelor’s, nine master’s degree programs and 16 fully online programs within five colleges (Marilyn Davies College of Business; Humanities & Social Sciences; Public Service; Sciences & Technology; and University College).
For the fourth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks UHD among universities across the nation for Best Online Criminal Justice Programs (No. 27 and No. 15 for Veterans) and Best Online Bachelor’s Programs.
UHD has the most affordable tuition among four-year universities in Houston and one of the lowest in Texas. U.S. News ranked the University among Top Performers on Social Mobility and a No. 1 ranking as the most diverse institution of higher education in the southern region of the U.S. The University is noted nationally as a Hispanic-Serving Institution, Minority-Serving Institution and Military Friendly School. For more on the University of Houston-Downtown, visit www.uhd.edu.